Questions that will make you more effective both at work and in your personal life.
In any conversation it is the person asking the questions who is in control. The question is; what are the questions you need to ask?
The quality of the interaction depends on the quality of the questions. In this booklet that has taken years to compile, you will find questions that will change the course of your dealings with others.
The more experienced we get, the more we all realise that questions are the answer to most problems and difficult situations. Using questions instead of telling people things is more effective in most communication situations from negotiation to learning, from interviewing to coaching and in virtually all difficult situations with anyone who is behaving badly.
This booklet contains our top 22 questions gathered over many years, variations on them and when and where to use them.
Armed with these you can deal with most situations. Some are gems that will work in many different situations (so you will find the same question in several sections); others are for more specific use.
In this booklet you will find:
- Four questions to help you to identify objectives and goals
- What not to ask in performance reviews and appraisals (and why)
- Six questions to ask in performance reviews and appraisals including two questions for dealing with performance issues
- Questions to help you formulate development objectives
- 31 questions for Coaching & Problem-solving
- 2 questions to establish training needs and learning objectives
- The questions not to ask when establishing skill levels
- 10 questions to find out what someone can really do
- Questions to help learning including a worked example
- Questions for learning reviews
- Questions for when your mind goes blank
- Questions for panics
- Questions for dealing with situations when someone has behaved badly
- Questions for interviews to identify skills and behaviours
- Questions for interviews to identify values
- Questions for dealing with performance issues
- Questions for when you need answers action or help (and what not to ask)
- Questions to get decisions and persuade others
- Questions for sales situations (with a worked example)
- Questions for negotiations
- Tips on the easy ways to come up with the right questions and get the right answers
- A summary of the 21 ‘root questions’